Piano Teacher Site Info
Music Terms Search
Music Term Pages
Quotes and Piano Trivia
High School Credits
Credits for Music
Tosoff Music Tuition
Jazz Influences Article
By B Tosoff
Music articles about the influences that shape a composers mind
To grasp the idea of how music has developed and grown over time we must first have an understanding
of the different influences.
To better understand how music works, letís use an analogy.
If you can visualize a music composition is somewhat like a tree.
It must have roots, trunk, branches and leaves.
Tree of Music consists of:
So obviously the source affects the kind of fruit that is produced, the forces that
influence and motivate the composer to write the type of style of Music, whether it be
Rock, Pop, Blues, Rap, Rhythm and Blues, Soul Jazz, Gospel or Classical.
- Source- Seed or the Composers background
- Rhythm- Pulse , the heart or the beat of the music
- Form- The Trunk of the Tree , that which Carries the structure
- Melody; Simplicity capturing your attention!
- Harmony- Twigs, the smaller branches that fills out the melody
- Tone- Tone:That which colors and enriches
To learn more about this subject go toTree of Music, source and influences
© 1998 Bryon Tosoff
Bryon Tosoff, providing piano instruction in rcm classical exam prep, & jazz, blues and pop.
Return To Main Page
White Rock, B.C., Canada
Updated Sept 21 2008
© Bryon Tosoff